The Churches of Loughborough - All Saints' Church, Thorpe Acre with Dishley

This church building on the list is very special to me, as lately I have come to appreciate its architectural beauty more and more. This is All Saint's Church, Thorpe Acre with Dishley, and it has quite an interesting story.

The church was originally sited at Dishley Grange; this building gradually fell into disrepair and was ultimately abandoned, and a new building was built in Thorpe Acre. It was designed by the architect William Railton, who also designed Nelson's Column in Trafalgar Square, London. (What an interesting connection!) The church was consecrated in 1845.

In the 1950s, Thorpe Acre entered a period of rapid development that would change the village forever, and the church was not exempt from changes. In 1968 the church received some radical-looking extensions, which in my opinion, look ahead of their time and is a beautiful fusion of the old and new. The building was Grade II listed on the 5th of November 1984. This is definitely one of my favourite church buildings in my neighbourhood, if not my favourite, and also one of my favourite photo subjects in my neighbourhood. Consequently, as I have taken so many photos, I will have to be selective.

I find this angle to be my favourite angle. (5/2021)

(5/2021)

(5/2021)

And the church looks just as good at night! (12/2020)

(11/2020)

(11/2020)

(11/2020)

(10/2020)

(10/2020)

It's hard to believe that this picture was taken just hours after the last two. How the weather can turn! (10/2020)

(1/2021)

(1/2021)

(1/2021)

(1/2021)

(1/2021)

(1/2021)

The church hall, to the north of the church building, used to be the local school. (1/2021)

That's all for now. Next time on the Churches of Loughborough, we'll look at the St. Peter's Centre on the corner of Storer Road and Fearon Street.

Comments